It’s so hard to believe that this is the first full week of school for many of us in Tennessee! It’s still early August and 90-plus degrees, but the yellow school buses are back in action.
Whether it’s your child’s first day of kindergarten, middle school, high school or college – or anywhere in between – the first day of school is special, and you’ll want to bring your camera along.
Here are some simple tips to keep in mind when photographing the big day:
1. Be prepared: The first day of school can be a little hectic, so be sure to charge your camera battery, load an empty memory card, pack your camera bag and have it ready to go so you won’t leave it behind. Have some shots in mind so you can be quick and ready despite the excitement of the first day. If you’re using your smart phone to document the day, be sure your phone has plenty of space for photos.
2. Get the must-have shot: Moms always want to remember their freshly scrubbed child, smiling in his new school clothes, ready to take on a new school year, so be sure to mark that one off your list. Consider taking this same shot each year, possibly in the same spot, to document how much he changes and grows as the years go by.
3. Capture the details: Go beyond the usual photographs to get a closeup of your child’s backpack, a shot of brand-new school supplies, your child’s name tag or brand-new school shoes. These details are fun to capture, and – when compiled with your other photos – they add visual interest to the story of the day.
4. Step back and observe: Try taking some photos from behind your child as he walks into school, hangs up his backpack, sits in his new desk or talks with his teacher. I love how this provides a candid glimpse into your child’s day…
5. Include friends in some photographs. As the kids grow, they’ll love looking back at the photos to see how much they and their friends have changed.
6. Remember the moments. Try to capture the candid moments that convey emotion – a hug, a wave, a kiss, a tear (although you may be the one with the tears!) 🙂
Have fun capturing your child’s back-to-school memories!
My “Day in the Life” family photo sessions capture genuine moments while documenting your family relaxing, playing and just being yourselves at home.
For more information about these candid family photo sessions, email me through the “Contact” link at the top of the page.