Welcome to the second installment of my Food Fridays feature! Each Friday through July, I’m sharing a different fresh and (mostly) healthy summer recipe along with photos of the dish. You can read more about this project and get last week’s recipe HERE.
Peaches just taste like summer to me, and they are in season right now! You can find them juicy and ripe at farmers’ markets and in grocery stores, and today is the perfect time to add fresh peaches to your menu.
While there are endless ways to enjoy fresh peaches, I’ve chosen two to share – one delicious dessert (not super healthy, but trust me, it’s worth it), and one healthy and hearty breakfast dish.
First up, the not-so-healthy-but-incredibly-tasty dessert. It’s so easy and pretty fast to prepare – and always a hit:
Easy Peach Cobbler
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
4 cups fresh peach slices
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Ground cinnamon or nutmeg
Melt butter in a 13×9-inch baking dish
Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool.
** Vanilla ice cream on the side makes a great addition!
Next up is a new breakfast dish that I just tried and loved! This recipe is easy to prepare (it has quite a few ingredients, but it all comes together quickly), and it has just the right amount of sweetness along with protein and a hearty texture that will get your morning off to a great start. BONUS: It also fills your house with the cozy smell of cinnamon.
Baked Peach Almond Oatmeal
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk if you don’t have this)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (or melted and cooled butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 cups chopped peaches
Peach slices for the top
1. Preheat overn to 350 degrees F. Greaase an 8×8 square baking dish and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and almonds.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, egg, coconut oil (or butter), vanilla, and almond extract.
4. Arrange the chopped peaches on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oat mixture evenly over the peaches. Pour the almond milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the baking dish to make sure the milk covers the oats evenly. Add a few peach slices on top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool 5 minutes and serve warm. You may want to add a little bit more milk to individual servings.
**This baked oatmeal is great reheated in the microwave! It can also easily be doubled for a 9×13 pan. Use gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
**This recipe calls for rolled oats, but I used a blend of oatmeal, chia seeds and quinoa called “Super Oats” from Love Grown Foods, which I found in the natural food aisle at Kroger. It adds a little more protein and goodness. 🙂